History of changes
- February 16, 2007: Modified the measurement page to add links to R , sem, and methodology chapters. Added links to some of Camille Benbow and David Lubinski's papers, as well as to Linda Gottfredson's papers on intelligence. Added a link to the Corr volume honoring Jeffrey Gray.
- August 23, 2006: Have added the R Tutorial to the main page as well as links to the psych package.
- Spring, 2006: The online measurement of personality and intelligence continues to generate some very interesting data.
- March 10, 2006: After two years of inactivity have started to update pages and added new ones. See in particular the tutorials on the R programming language for use in psychology and personality research.
- March 1, 2006: Adding a revision to the online Big 5 Personality Inventory to measure musical preferences and a preliminary measure of IQ.
- February 6, 2006: G. Scott Acton (developer of the "Great Ideas in Personality" website), friend and former student, died in an auto accident in Rochester, New York. He will be sorely missed by his family, friends, and the personality research community.
- August 1, 2004: Have started to update various pages. Added and removed links on the online.html page.
- May 1, 2004: Have moved the R-Tutorial to a more logical location on the personality project page.
- April 30, 2004: Added a discussion the meaning of scores in terms of distributions and reliability.
- April 1, 2004: Started serving a "Big 5" personality survey as the first part of a project on synthetic aperature personality assessment.
- March 15, 2004: Starting to make progress on updating. Have finally fixed some broken search engine links. Am about to introduce a personality test to measure the Big 5 using items from the Lew Goldberg's IPIP and with help from John Johnson. For a preview of this personality inventory, visit us at test.personality-project.org
Removed the links to Thunderstone search (finally) and added Google searches.
- February 22, 2004: Finally starting updating the pages again. About to add an online personality test.
- October 25, 2002: Finished fixing broken links in the academic pages area and on the main readings page.
- June 27, 2002: Started the annual summer exercise of trying to bring the pages up to date.
- April 20, 2002: Found (and fixed) a weird bug that was not displaying some pages correctly.
Added lin to the personality assessment sited of Tom Buchanan and David Johnson.
Started fixing broken links, particularly on the researcher and research lab pages.
- November 13, 2001: With his kind permission, I have added Peter Heineman's discussion of temperament to the project. I have kept his original structure but changed the email link to his current address. In some sense, this is the first step in making the Personality Project a truly collaborative work, in that now it includes works (rather than just points to them) developed by others. (Scott Acton's pages, Great Ideas in Personality, although residing on the same web server, are maintained by him.)
- November, 12, 2001: Once again, after a long pause, started adding corrections and additions to the pages. I have reorganized the "other" page to be more user friendly (that is, have broken it down into labs, people, courses, and other as separate pages) and added Google as a search engine.
- September 22, 2000: Have finally started making corrections and additions after a year of sloth. Have added links to the APA public search engine. Added Google searches to the page. More to come. What is most exciting is how far the field has progressed in a year in terms of what is available.
- August 28, 2000: Finally got around to redoing the readings pages to make them easier to use.
- July, 2000: Moved Scott Acton's Great Ideas pages to another part of the server (www.personalityresearch.org/) so now it has its own address.
- June 26, 2000: Found and fixed a rather strange bug that appeared when reading the organizations page with IE 4.5. (just a small part of the page was served). Added internal counters to some pages (not shown to reader).
- June 25, 2000: Changed webservers from MacHttp to WebStar. This has allowed for "multihoming" and redirection of various addresses to the appropriate location. In particular, I am now able to start phasing out the "fas.psych.nwu.edu" address so that it properly goes to the personality-project.org address. Will eventually move Scott Acton's "great ideas" page to a separate address (personalityresearch.org) on the server to more properly separate these two independent but related pages.
- May 1, 2000: Added references to the PSYCOLOQUY debate on Intelligence.
- May 1, 2000: Moved Scott Acton's Great Ideas in Personality project to the personality project.
- April 20-30th: Greedily registered alternative domain names for the personality project: personality-project.org, personalitytheory.org
- January, 2, 2000: Updated the Readings list to take into account various new texts that have come across my desk. Am working on my Personality Research Syllabus and thus will be adding more tables and figures to the various parts of the Project. Still tracking down broken links. An unending exercise.
- October 15, 1999: Added links to the Society of Personality and Social Psychology meeting from February 3-5 to be held in Nashville, Tn. as well as the preconference.
- Added links to themeasurementgroup, a source of excellent information about personality tests and statistical techniques as well as current results in HIV/AIDS research.
- July 26, 1999: Added links to T.B. Roger's course on Testing and Individual Differences. A very deep site with multiple papers written by his students.
- An "ask Jeeves Silver Platter Site".
- July 9, 1999: Additional cross links to the International Society of the Study of Individual Differences. The index to the personality project also provides an index of the ISSID pages. This means that the abstracts from the recent ISSID meeting are now searchable from here. Eventually I will link the abstracts to individual researcher web pages.
- July 4, 1999 Reformatted to remove frames and to make somewhat more useable. Generally did some restructuring of the look and feel. This is a work in progress. Have added this what's new section in an attempt to start documentation and to alert users to changes in the Personality Project. The stuff from before this is by memory and reviewing old files.
- July 1, 1999 Added an internet search engine (Thunderstone) that indexes the personality project and keeps the index on their site. An amazing addition and one that is fairly easy to add to other sites.
- May, 1999 Chosen as a "links to Go" site for psychology. [They seem to have gone.]
- Spring, 1999 Minor updates of reference lists, corrected various bad links. Nothing exciting.
- December, 1998 Reorganized the structure of the pages to take advantage of an essay on Individual Differences. Added Frames. (In retrospect, a bad idea).
- December, 1997 The ISSID web page was moved to the Personality, Motivation and Cognition Laboratory web page.
- December, 1997 Added links to search engines (Medline, Excite, etc.). Did a major reorganization to try to make loading faster.
- Spring, 1996, added links to various conferences (e.g., the Biodata conference)
- Fall, 1994: "Webified" my Annual Review Chapter as a way of providing some technical references to the literature.
- Fall, 1993 Started the Personality Project while working on my Annual Review chapter on Personality Processes. I realized that although there was a great deal of interest in personality among web users, that there was not much of the scientific literature out there.